Saturday, April 14, 2007

o canada

just a little side note

i dont know why, but 'official looking people with a mean grimace' intimidate me...

so, as i pull up to the gates to enter canada, the man pops his head out and asks me a barrage of questions, and much to my stuttering problem, i looked as guilty as all get out...nothing like a male traveling by himself into another country, not going to visit anyone in particular...yeah you get the idea.

well, after the meager attempt of my traveling explanation, he tells me to go park my car under the awning and go see the man inside and up the stairs. well, i go see him and the grimace continues. he takes a look at me, asks a couple more questions...which i felt more confident about answering this time...and takes my license and passport in the next room. my assumption is that he ran a background check cause of the little paper he gave me after he came out and said i could go after i gave it to the man downstairs. i happily left, and as i was leaving, the dude from upstairs came downstairs...without the paper i just handed the other dude...probably to laugh at my inability to communicate clearly...all because of the....something. i know i laughed, and would have laughed much more if i were them.

so i have officially made it to canada.

i drive up to fort macleod and go to a gas station there. i thought about filling up...but i didnt. i went in to ask how the whole money thing worked, with me having credit cards and stuff. well, they told me that i had to use visa at the pump (which wasnt all i could use) and so i left. as i was leaving, i felt hungry and where would i get some food...but i thought about the free advice i had just received and thought i would be nice and purchase something from them...not gas even though they said it would be more expensive in calgary.

mmm...orange cranberry muffin...

that and i was rockin it cause the american dollar is worth more than the canadian dollar, gas was at 95.9 cents, and the speed limit was 110.

stinkin yanks is what they would call yall (well maybe). and for those that might not know $1 can = $1.16 american, gas was priced by the liter (about 4 liters to a gallon), and speed limit was in kilometers/hour.

so i get up to calgary eventually and pay bout $1 for gas...still stinkin expensive (even more so).

so i am in the nice city of calgary

No comments: